Toxic fumes: Man hospitalized after chemical reaction in Sydney West, Smithfield

Twelve people have been taken to paramedics after a chemical reaction created toxic fumes at a workplace in western Sydney.

The 29-year-old was mixing sulfuric acid and chlorine at a pipe manufacturing plant in Smithfield around 8:30 a.m. Thursday when he inhaled the toxic fumes.

Fire crews arrived at Woodpark Road along with three fire engines and two chemical protection units.

Paramedics took the man to the hospital for further treatment and examined 11 other workers at the scene.

Firefighters check the level of gas in the building.

They confirmed that there was no leak of chemicals.

Not all.

Originally published as Twelve men were exposed to noxious fumes after a chemical reaction in western Sydney.