A 2023 surge to a career-high has propelled Australia’s highest-ranked player Alex de Minaur to his second Newcombe Medal, and the first one on his own.
A month out from the start of the Australian Open, De Minaur, who rose to a career-high world No.11 this year, won from a field of six nominees and took the award outright, having shared with Ash Barty in 2018.
Still at home in Spain before he begins his Australian Open preparation, the 24-year-old, fresh off playing a key role in Australia’s second consecutive Davis Cup finals appearance, said it had been a great year not just for himself, but for Australian tennis.
“I’m very sad that I wasn’t able to attend the Newcombe Medal this year and I’m extremely grateful for this amazing award,” De Minaur said in a video message at Monday night’s awards ceremony.
“It’s been a great year, not only for myself, but for all of Australian tennis and I think we should (all be) very proud indeed.
“(I) would also like to thank Newk (John Newcombe). Wish I could shake your hand right now and be there, but I appreciate everything you do for Australian tennis.”
De Minaur achieved his career best singles ranking on the back of winning his seventh ATP title and first at ATP 500 level when he took out the Mexican Open in March.
He then snared his 200th career win last month.
With an all-important seeding looming at the Australian Open in January, De Minaur, who won the award from a field of six nominees, which included Matt Ebden, Rinky Hijikata, doubles star Storm Hunter, Alexei Popyrin and Max Purcell, will spearhead the Australian team for the United Cup.
He will also lead the charge at the Australian Open after Nick Kyrgios’ expected withdrawal due to an ongoing injury.
Originally published as Alex de Minaur snares a second Newcombe medal