Radiant heater recalled over carbon monoxide poisoning concerns

The radiant heater was recalled due to concerns that a damaged bracket could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning when used indoors.

The Celmec Heatray IRH-G 118 Ceiling Radiant Heater was sold nationally between September 3, 2008 and November 27, 2013.

“The burner plate mounting bracket may deteriorate after several years of use, causing the burner plate to move and reduce the combustion efficiency of the appliance,” the ACCC said in a statement.

“Appliances installed indoors can no longer be safe to use.”

When used outdoors, the heater is not considered unsafe.

When used indoors, affected heaters pose a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning “which can result in serious illness, injury or death.”

Consumers who have a defective heater should immediately stop using it and, if possible, turn off the gas supply and unplug the appliance from the socket.

“Record the unit’s serial number and contact Celmec International to check if you have a defective heater and arrange for a qualified technician to check and repair the heater on site,” the ACCC said.

“The serial number is located inside the rear panel on the left side.”

For more information, consumers can contact Celmec on 03 8552 8200.

Originally published as Radiant heater recalled over carbon monoxide poisoning concerns