AFL concussion lawsuit sparks storm, Geelong’s Max Rook files unprecedented class action lawsuit
The AFL is bracing for its biggest ever legal battle yet after 60 players filed an unprecedented lawsuit against the league on Tuesday.
Geelong Prime Minister’s hero Max Rooke was reportedly listed as the lead plaintiff in a class action lawsuit filed after the AFL for compensation for concussions and head injuries.
Herald of the Sun It was first reported that Margalit Injury Lawyers filed a landmark class-action lawsuit in the Supreme Court of Victoria, with the firm’s managing director Michel Margalit saying players could be awarded more than US$2 million plus medical expenses.
Margalit Lawyers filed a class-action lawsuit on behalf of players who worked for one or more AFL clubs between 1985 and March 14, 2023, who either sustained a concussion or sustained concussion injuries.
Apart from Ruka, it is unclear what other players are involved in the action.
This happens just a few days after the previous one. Western Bulldogs Premier League star Liam Picken also applied. action against the AFL through the Supreme Court of Victoria. His lawsuit also seeks compensation from his former club and club doctors for the concussions he suffered throughout his career.
Watch every match of every round of Toyota AFL Premiership Season 2023 live on Kayo Sports. New to Cayo? Start your free trial now >
Documents filed Tuesday show Rook claims he has suffered up to 30 concussions in his career, where he played 135 games for the Cats, including two Finals wins.
The lawsuit alleges that Rook suffered permanent, fatal injuries due to negligence on the part of the AFL.
The claim comes the same day AFL announces it will spend $25 million on long-term research as a result of a concussion.
Margalit released a statement saying it was “heartbreaking” to see the effects of injuries suffered by players.
“The injuries sustained by this group of former AFL players as a result of concussions sustained while playing Aussie Rules have had a devastating impact on their lives and those of their loved ones,” she said.
“Some of the players who joined this landmark group movement were never able to hold a job after leaving the AFL. Their personal lives are destroyed and they live in constant physical and mental pain. It’s heartbreaking and they need to be taken care of properly.”
“They dedicated their lives to the game. Years later, their illustrious career has become a distant memory, and they find themselves wounded and without the means to treat those injuries. This is despite the fact that the AFL is one of the largest economic engines in the state.”
“The delay in justice is the denial of justice. These injured players have been waiting too long. The time has come to hold the AFL accountable and demand fair and just compensation.”
“The AFL should have taken responsibility sooner than these former players had no choice but to seek a remedy for their pain and suffering through the Supreme Court.”
“Financial compensation can never fix the damage caused by a concussion, but it will be an important step forward in recognizing the damage it caused. We hope that the AFL will engage in real and early discussions on a solution to the problem in order to avoid needlessly prolonging the suffering of these former players.”
Picken’s lawyers said last week that he had sent in several incorrect cognitive test results during his career, but were not warned of the fact.
Picken also reportedly suffers from photophobia, or an aversion to bright lights.
In documents filed with the Victorian Supreme Court on Wednesday and released daily mailPicken claims that the club and the doctors violated their duty to help him.
This was announced by the chief lawyer of National Compensation Lawyers Michael Tanner. Age Picken was unaware of the extent of the head injuries.
Picken was not the first player to file a lawsuit, as former Collingwood AFLW vice-captain Emma Grant filed a civil lawsuit after a concussion in the 2020 preseason led to her early retirement.
The class-action lawsuit was uncovered last month when lawyers for Margalit Injury Lawyers said the firm was “inundated” with allegations of life-changing head injuries from former players.
“Action should have been taken many, many years ago, not only to change protocols, improve education, but also financially support people who are injured, and also to contain them so that they do not return to the game too early,” said Margalit. SEN Whately.
Margalit cited class action lawsuits by former NFL players who were paid more than $1 billion in compensation.
“We are considering the types of compensation that have been received at the international level. The initial settlement of the US NFL class action was about $1 billion,” added Ms. Margalit.
“That’s a very realistic figure in terms of this class action.”
Similar Danny Frawley, Shane Tuck And Polly Farmer all were diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) after death.
Originally published as AFL rocked as football greats file unprecedented legal action